There are a number health benefits to adding fruit and vegetables to your dog’s diet but there are some that you should avoid. Here’s a list of fruit and veggies not to feed your dog.
Grapes are probably the most well-known toxic fruit for pets. While eating grapes doesn’t affect all pets, it can cause severe kidney damage. Don’t take the risk – they could end up in a lot of pain.
While cherries are delicious and juicy and the pulp is safe for pets, the pits and plants contain cyanide, which can be deadly.
Raisins & Currants
If your beloved pooch decides to have themselves a snack on raisins or currants, it’s best to get them to the vet immediately – they can cause renal failure. Vomiting will likely need to be induced in an effort to minimise any serious damage.
The flesh of an apricot is safe for your pet to eat, but the leaves, stems and seeds all contain cyanide and can cause poisoning.
Eating rhubarb can strip the amount of calcium in your pet’s body and cause renal failure and other issues.
When it comes to apples, they are safe for dogs to eat but mind the pips. While it might take a fair few pips to be eaten before causing any symptoms, apple pips contain cyanide and should be avoided.
Tomatoes are a great component in a dog’s diet, but if you grow your own make sure they can’t get to the plants as they can cause an upset stomach in dogs.
Should your dog manage to grab a mouthful of mushrooms, it’s important you get them to the vet asap. Some mushrooms are more dangerous than others, and if they contain toxins may cause seizures, tremors or organ failure and even cause death.
Green & Raw Potatoes
Despite being overwhelmingly popular ingredients in most high quality dog foods, potatoes need to be ripe and cooked before eating or nausea, vomiting, seizures and heart irregularities might result.
Garlic & Onions
Eating either onion or garlic can lead to lethargy, heightened heart and respiratory rate, pale gums, and at worst even collapse.
There are a lot of benefits in giving fruit and vegetables to your pet, but you have to make sure that it is safe for them to eat and won’t cause any harm.