Sad dog laying on floor loking at camera.

The Dangers of Rodents and Pesticides

As a pet owner, it’s crucial to understand the potential risks that rodents and pesticides can pose to your furry friend.


Rodents, such as mice and rats, can carry various diseases that can be transmitted to pets through bites or contact with their urine, faeces, or saliva. Some of the most common diseases that pets can contract from rodents include Leptospirosis and Rat-bite fever. These diseases can be fatal if left untreated, and it’s essential to take preventive measures to keep your pet away from areas where rodents might be present.


Pesticides are chemicals that are used to kill or control pests, such as insects, rodents, and weeds. While these products can be effective in controlling pests, they can also be dangerous for pets if not used properly.

Ingestion of pesticides can cause severe health problems for pets. Some common symptoms of pesticide exposure include vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, seizures, and even death. Ingestion of rat poison can cause internal bleeding and damage to their kidneys, liver, and other organs.

Inhalation of pesticides can also be harmful to pets. Pets that breathe in pesticides can suffer from respiratory problems, such as coughing, sneezing, and difficulty breathing. They may also develop skin irritation or allergic reactions.

How to protect your pet

It’s important to always read the label and follow the instructions when using any pesticides, and to keep them out of reach of pets.

In addition to avoiding exposure to rodents and pesticides, it’s essential to keep your pet up-to-date on their vaccinations and to have regular check-ups with your veterinarian. By being aware of the potential dangers and taking preventative measures, you can ensure the safety and well-being of your beloved pet.

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to rodents or pesticides, please contact us at (02) 4399 2129.