Your Medicine Could be Poisonous for Your Pet

There’s a reason human medicine carries warning labels. Some common medicines for humans can be dangerous for animals, even in small doses.

Our pets don’t know that our medication isn’t meant for them. They see you eating something and think they might like it too. Poisoning from medicines is very common.


Paracetamol is an analgesic we use for pain and fever. While often effective for our ailments, it’s dangerous for dogs and cats. Cats don’t have the necessary enzymes to metabolise the drug, sometimes resulting in liver and kidney damage. Without treatment, it can be fatal.

Dogs are also sensitive to paracetamol and can experience symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, jaundice, and abdominal pain. They can also experience liver damage leading to liver failure.

Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID’s)

We use NSAIDs, like ibuprofen, to alleviate pain, inflammation and fever. Some NSAIDs are toxic for dogs and cats, causing life threatening issues such as stomach ulcers, kidney and liver damage and other serious complications, even at low doses. If your pet is experiencing pain, don’t be tempted to share your medicine, see your veterinarian for the most suitable treatment.


Antidepressants may be beneficial for both humans and animals, but not all are suitable or safe for animals. You should only give your pet antidepressants that are recommended by your vet, and always follow dosages carefully. Overdosing can be dangerous for your pet and can lead to neurological problems and stimulant effects. Your pet may experience heart rate problems, increased blood pressure, and abnormal body temperature.

Sleep Aids

It’s easy to assume that your sleep aid will also help your pet sleep, but that isn’t the case. Sleep aids can make many animals agitated rather than sedated. They may also experience lethargy, slowed breathing, and lack of coordination.

The common medications that alleviate your ailments may be toxic for your pets. Contact your vet immediately if you think your pet has accidently ingested your medicine.