The poison used to kill rats and mice interferes with blood clotting. These products are just as toxic to dogs and cats, and alarmingly your pets may even seek these poisons out.
What to do if your pet finds rat bait:
If you know that your pet has eaten rat bait, have them checked by a vet as soon as possible. If seen immediately, your pet can be made to vomit which reduces toxin absorption. Sometimes blood tests, or administration of an antidote may be necessary.
If your pet is showing signs of bleeding, they may require supportive care, transfusion of blood products and the antidote.
Clinical signs are usually present anywhere from 1 to 7 days after ingestion (depending on type and amount of poison ingested).
How to know if your pet has eaten rat bait:
- Your pet may be quiet or lethargic
- A cough or breathing problems (if they bleed into the lungs)
- They may collapse
- Sometimes there will be visible signs of bleeding (in urine, nose bleeds)
If you think your pet might have eaten rat bait, please phone us immediately for advice.
Sadly, we often see pets that have eaten rat bait. This can be extremely upsetting especially when ingestion can often be prevented.
Here are our top tips for prevention rat bait toxicity:
- The first, and probably most obvious, is do not have rodenticide products on your property. And what about your neighbour’s place? If you’ve moved to a new property, have you thoroughly checked it is safe?
- Ensure that places you visit with your pet (friend’s houses, holiday rentals) are rat bait free. That means always check for rat bait before letting your pet loose in a new environment.
- If you must have rat bait, please store packets of these poisons in a secure place away from animals and children.
Don’t forget that your pet may actively seek out rat bait – dogs have a knack for getting under the house and cats love to explore the ceiling. We have had quite a few dogs come in lately from San Remo, Toukley, Wyee Point and Morisset that have eaten rat bait and luckily we have been able to see the dogs quickly and induce vomiting to reduce the severity of toxicity.
We are always here to offer advice and help – phone us if you are worried on 4399 2129.